Thursday, September 18, 2008

An afternoon at the Hill St. Blues coffeeshop. A young group of friends begin to plan their day in the lounge area overlooking a canal. Sunlight and reflected sunlight hit the floor and the ceiling giving the smoky room a soft glow. An impression of the place continues through a journal entry.


...I just finished a long sketch at the Hill St. Blues, the place was big with a large downstairs room, couches casually strewn around , the walls painted black with graffiti and stickers, very CBGB looking. I spoke with a couple of French guys and an older Moroccan man who was talking with a friend. The old timer was on his way out when he dropped his hash on the floor "Meneer" I called after him and handed him the stiff little bag with the dark chunk in it. A smile as he said "Thank you".
Amongst the steady stream of folks a woman in a wheelchair caught my eye. I have seen quite a few disabled people on my recent jaunts to the shops, more than I think I have seen the past few years, also Medi-wiet is on more menus...aw


(pastel with under painting  50 x 65 cm)

1 comment:

Eddy said...

Bravo! Let me know when the book is published. As I have seen some of your artwork up and close (hanging on my walls) I find you have the same inate ability to capture the souds and smell of what is going on in your artwork.